"This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you.” (Titus 1:5-6 ESV)
I. The Problem: L_____________ of the New Testament Teaching on Biblical Eldership
II. Why? What is the Reason for This Drift?
A. Six Reasons Why Churches Still Cling to the Pastor-Hierarchy Form of Leadership:
1. Influence of secular ___________ corporate mentality
2. Examples of hierarchy style leadership that “w_______________,” for example: large congregations, lots of programs, exciting, and “relevant” ministry
3. Departure away from the f________________ nature of the church
4. Abdicating of p______________________ involvement, responsibility
5. Rise of power and a__________________ in church leadership
6. Abandoning c___________________ to sound biblical teaching
B. The Result: L_______________________ of New Testament Teaching on Eldership
III. The Solution: Return to New Testament Teaching on Eldership
"In every generation, we need an enlightened purification of our traditions.” – S. L. Johnson
A. Reformation, restoration, and revival are c__________________ works in the church.
B. Return to the Bible and to the p_____________________ of the apostles.
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped of every good work.” (2 Tim. 3:16-17)
"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” (2 Tim. 2:15)