This three part series explores the relationship that elders have with deacons.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- Contemplate these questions, then click on each question to see the answer.
- What expectations/demands are there of elders in your church that are impossible? What can you as an individual do to “own the problem” or at least help resolve it?
- As the speaker points out, neither the word "deacon" nor "elder" is used in Acts 6. What has been your thinking about the appropriateness of applying this passage to later teaching on the role of elder and deacons? Do passages like Philippians 3:17 help?
- Does this passage teaching that those involved in the "spiritual" work of prayer and teaching the Word are never involved in the practical ministries of the church? Should they not lead by example? How do you see it?
- In your church, are there people capable of teaching the word, but who do not have time to adequately prepare because of other responsibilities?
- How much time is given to prayer by the elders or leaders of your church? How often are you involved in praying together with and for the church? How often do you attend special times of prayer? Do you schedule prayer as a priority in your calendar, or do you try to fit it in after everything else has been scheduled?
- Make a list of the elders and the responsibilites they each are involved in. What can they be relieved of so that they can spend more time in their areas of giftedness?