Church discipline may be a painful process, but it is the manifestation of God’s love for His children, carried out through His church for the good of all.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- Contemplate these questions, then click on each question to see the answer.
- Describe or discuss a time when you (or your church) should have initiated church discipline, but did not. What was the outcome?
- Describe or discuss instances where church discipline was inappropriate, or badly carried out. What was the outcome?
- What factors negatively impact or hinder the practice of church discipline today?
- Spell out the advantages and disadvantages of exercising church discipline.
- Identify the major excuses people raise for not initiating (or following through with) church discipline, and spell out the biblical reasons why these excuses are wrong.
Church Disciplines: Taking Sin Seriously 1 Cor 5:1-13, by Bob Deffinbaugh
The Discipline of Life, by S. Lewis Johnson
Sample Church Discipline Announcement/Letter (unbiblical divorce)
Church Discipline, J. Hampton Keathley, III