This message details the reasons why illustrations are necessary in any sermon or Bible lesson, and discusses the importance of application of the sermon content to the daily life of the audience.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- What did you learn from the quotation by Dr. Guthrie that you should never forget?
- How did the speaker use the parable of the Good Samaritan to show the importance of illustrations?
- Can you think of one other example (aside from the parable of the Good Samaritan) of Jesus the Master Teacher using illustrations to drive home a fundamental truth of Scripture?
- Learn to write down illustrations from your own life or from daily reading of books, magazines or newspapers. Illustrations are all around us. We have to be aware of them and have some system in order to record them for use at a later time.
- Set up in your computer (or in a file or notebook) a system for filing illustrations and interesting stories. All good speakers and writers always carry pen and paper with them so that they can record their thoughts and illustrative sermon material. One good resource for doing this online is the app "Evernote."
“3 Reasons Your Church Needs Sermon Illustrations” by Eric McKiddle