This is part one of a series on Gender Issues, showing from Scripture that elders are to be male.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- Why do you think the gender issue is so controversial and divisive in the church today?
- What are some common arguments you have heard from others that defend the idea of women being teachers, leaders over men or being elders in the church?
- Is it possible for both interpretations to be allowed in a single local church: that women are restricted from teaching and leading men in the church and the view that woman and men can serve equally in teaching and leading? Explain your answer.
- If you haven’t yet done so, consider reading one of the recommended books by Alex Strauch or Chuck Gianotti on the subject of gender issues in the church. Every elder needs to have a good grasp of this subject because it continues to cause conflict and stress in local churches and in the evangelical community at large.
- Find out your church’s stated policy on the role of women in ministries in your church. Is it written down, do people in the church understand clearly what the church’s position is on this subject?
Cosmic Drama: Men, Women and the Church, by Chuck Gianotti
Equal Yet Different, by Alexander Strauch