The first of five studies on developing leadership succession in the local church.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- Contemplate these questions, then click on each question to see the answer.
- List some of the pitfalls in today's churches where leadership succession is not practiced.
- What are the differences between raising a leader and raising a successor?
- Why do you think planning for leadership succession is so rare? What do you think are the hindrances to doing it?
- Contact other churches in your network and ask their leaders what plan or program they have in place for leadership succession.
- Ask the current elders/leaders in your church how they were prepared for leadership? Were they mentored? Did those who were leaders before them make it clear that they wanted to be succeeded as leaders/elders?
- Identify three individuals that have potential to become your successor, and begin praying for their leadership development, with the goal of someday seeing them step into yours or others' leadership roles.
“Spiritual Leadership” by J. Oswald Sanders