Third in this series, the speaker explains the concept of “first among equals” in detail and gives examples from Scripture of this concept in action.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- Contemplate these questions, then click on each question to see the answer.
- How does Ephesians 4:11 help to explain who Paul is referring to with the phrase “laboring in preaching and teaching” in 1 Timothy 5:17?
- What happens when all elders attempt to exercise the same level of giftedness? That is, when there is not a recognition of the different levels of giftedness?
- Consider the elders in your church: How are they different in gifting and functioning? How do you see the elders exercising their equality? You might interview them or ask others for input. Write this down so that you crystalize your observations, thinking and conclusions.
- If you are an elder, set aside a time when the elders can share with each other how they see each one's gifting working in the church. For example, going around the circle, consider the first elder. Have everyone verbally say where they see that the man's gifting lies and how God has been using him. Do this for each of the elders.
Embracing Shared Ministry, by Joseph H. Hellerman.