Church discipline is not an option; it is God’s mandate to His church, for the benefit of the sinner, and for the purity and benefit of the church.Audio File Lecture Outline Detailed Outline
- Contemplate these questions, then click on each question to see the answer.
- From Matthew chapter 18, what should motivate you to take church discipline more seriously?
- Aside from failing to initiate church discipline, what are other areas in which we might fail in carrying out church discipline?
- What role should elders play in the discipline process? For example, should an elder initiate discipline for a sin someone else has brought to his attention? What are things the elders should or should not do?
- Identify the major church discipline texts (there are several, in addition to Matthew 18) and integrate these into one document that could guide the discipline process in your church.
Discipline in the Kingdom, by S. Lewis Johnson
Bearing Burderns: How One Sinner Relates to the Sin of another (Gal 6:1-5), by Bob Deffinbaugh
Peter’s Capitulation and Paul’s Correction (Gal 2:11-21), by Bob Deffinbaugh
Freeloaders and the Christian Work Ethic (2 Thess 3:6-18), by Bob Deffinbaugh